Association with the Holland Society of New York is by two means: through regular membership or becoming a “Friend” of the Holland Society.
- MEMBERS: You may be eligible to become a member if you are a descendant (male/female) in the direct line of:
- A Dutch native or Dutch resident of New Netherland or the American colonies (now a part of the United States) prior to or during the year 1675,
- A person who possessed the right of Dutch citizenship within Dutch settlements in North America prior to or during the year 1675,
- A resident of a Dutch settlement in North America prior to or during the year 1675,
- A Dutch citizen, one of whose descendants became a member of this Society prior to June 16th, 1886,
- A Dutchman who was called to this country as a Dutch-speaking Domine during the Colonial Period.
- FRIENDS: Friends membership is open to all who are interested in the Dutch colonial period in America and its legacy. Friends receive the benefits of Holland Society membership, with the exception of voting rights at the Annual Meeting.
The Holland Society has branches across the United States and internationally. The branches organize great activities, such as weekend trips, visit to the Netherlands, lectures and social gatherings.
During the Spring Annual Meeting the Holland Society Members elect and install officers, followed by a dinner. At that time, one outstanding Member of The Society is honored with a medal denoting “Distinguished Achievement” in their field.
The Fall Banquet in New York is our famous dinner-dance. During the Banquet, the society honors a citizen of the U.S. or the Netherlands, with a medal for “contributions to a field of human endeavor.” Presidents, royalty, pastors, generals and astronauts are among those who have been honored with this award. These fields included government, diplomacy, literature, religion, science, journalism, art and, public service.
Types of Membership and Payment
There are several different types of Membership, please view our options below:
When you complete the application form on our “Join” page, you will be contacted by the office with application forms for joining and a guide to completing the application. Please contact us with any questions.
Junior Membership (0-17 years) entitles member to no dues payments for 5 years after reaching his/her 18th birthday,